Thursday, February 13, 2014

One of the Most Terrifying Nights of Our Life: February 12, 2014

Hi Everyone-

The events from last night continue to play in my head over and over again and it was just so scary that I'm at a loss for words. Like many of you guys,we have furbabies. We have two chihuahua mixes that are the light of our lives. They bring us so much joy and happiness.



Well last night, my oldest baby, Sirius Black, had a seizure for the first time, and not only was it his first, he continued to have a second one and a third one all within like 10 minutes. I have never seen anything like that before, and I think the worst part about it is that he was acting completely normal beforehand. I was so scared and had no idea what to do. We quickly got in the car, I didn't even have shoes on, and drove him to the nearest 24 hour emergency animal hospital. We quickly found out last night that those are like 1 in a million in Las Vegas. We finally found one about 6 miles away from where we live and took him there.

By the time we got him to the vet, he seemed fairly normal which we were hoping was a good sign and then talked to the vet and she advised that she wanted to definitely keep him overnight and make sure that he didn't have any other seizures and that if he did that they would stop it immediately with medication. They wanted to blood work and all that to rule out some of the reasons on why he might've had a seizure like toxins and all of that.

Good news is that his blood work was all normal and that he hadn't had any seizures throughout the night and that we would be able to pick him up today. She did mention that because he had what's called cluster seizures, which is having multiple seizures within a very small time frame that Sirius is epileptic and that we would have to keep him on medication for the rest of his life.

The people at that vet's office were so helpful and nice and I'm so glad that we were able to take him there. I've done a ton of reading about seizures in dogs and I'm so happy to know that they can still live happy lives on the medication. I'm so grateful that there's nothing wrong with him and can't wait to pick him up tonight.

My wife and I are starting to do a bit better, we were such wrecks last night :P and my other baby Jarvis is definitely not himself today. He definitely knew last night that something was up and I think that he's sad and worried about his brother too. He's very somber today and just wants to lay in bed with us... and not even play with his lovies (stuffed toys). I think he really wants to see Sirius back too.

Thanks for listening.. I know this isn't always the most fun stuff to read but I just wanted to share <3

have you experienced anything like this? how did you cope?

until next time <3

..diana



4 comments:

  1. Oh you poor thing! I couldn't imagine. My furbabies are my everything. I actually have a chihuahua mix as well. I wouldn't know what to do without her. I am so glad your pup is feeling better!!!

    Lindi
    Sweet Southern Sparkle
    www.sweetsouthernsparkle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Last night definitely was a learning experience and I definitely hope that it never happens again, but with what we know now, at least we know how to handle it and can be more prepared in the future. I'm so glad he's going to be ok :)

      Delete
  2. That kind of stuff is heart-stopping. Chris' family's Burmese Mountain dog gets seizures too it really gave us a scare. So relieved that you got the treatment he needed! We have a little fur baby too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! I'm so very sorry that you had to experience this but I'm glad to hear that your furbaby is doing better! We have two cats and they are the center of our world. I can only imagine how you guys must have been feeling. So very, very happy that the end of the post was a good one and your baby is home safe.

    ReplyDelete